Elephant electrocuted in Banerhat
Times of India, 05 December 2020
Jalpaiguri: An adult female elephant was electrocuted at Haldibari tea estate in Jalpaiguri's Banerhat after coming in contact with a high tension electric line. The carcass was found on Friday morning.
This incident was the ninth such in the past five months.
“Although this seems an accident and unintentional, it is a fact that the animal died of electrocution after it came in contact with a wire that was supposed to be at a much higher elevation. It is very sad that even after meetings with WBSEDCL, nothing or very little is being done,” said a senior forester.
In most cases, jumbos fell into the trap of electric wires laid on the field to stop them from raiding paddy fields. In Bengal, some 31 jumbos have died of electrocution in the Dooars and Terai regions over the past decade.