The police force will need the permission of the varsity authorities before entering the Jadavpur University campus, a senior official said after a meeting between the administration and the students on Monday night.
The meeting, that went past 11 pm, was held to discuss the issue of police deployment during the protests against state education minister Bratya Basu that allegedly turned violent on March 1.
According to a senior official, the University would henceforth stick to its “tradition” of not calling police inside the campus and mandate police to seek permission from authorities before entering. The official said that university authorities “were not informed” when police entered the campus on the day of the incident.
Meanwhile, authorities would urge the state government for an emergency meeting of the University’s executive council where a request for holding students’ elections would be put forth once again.
Notably, this was the key demand of the protests.
According to the official, they can only make an appeal with the state government for elections as per the request of the students, but the final decision is to be taken by the State.
In the meeting, some students alleged that they are being “harassed” by the police regarding the incident in which the state education minister was allegedly heckled.
The students allege that the police have seized some of their phones and since many of them do not have laptops, it is affecting their studies.
On Monday, a section of students had moved the Calcutta High Court over alleged harassment by the police.
Jadavpur University interim Vice Chancellor Bhaskar Gupta, who had been discharged from the hospital on Sunday, was unable to attend the meeting — either virtually or physically — as he was advised complete bed rest.
Meanwhile, Indranuj Roy, the 21-year-old first year student who allegedly came very close to being crushed under Basu’s car on March 1 was discharged from the hospital after 10 days.
Roy had received several injuries around his left eye which got him 14 stitches and will require consulting an ophthalmologist. The doctors have advised him complete bed rest for the next two weeks.
According to hospital sources, the medical expenses of Roy will be borne by the hospital.
Before leaving the hospital, his father Amit Roy told mediapersons, “He has been asked to take complete bed rest… normalcy should return to the University.”
Indranuj Roy was one of the students who allegedly tried to block the car of Bratya Basu on March 1 when Basu was on campus, attempting to speak to him regarding why there has been no student election for the past five years.