On Thursday, Jadavpur University interim Vice Chancellor Bhaskar Gupta was removed from his post — four days before his retirement.
The University has been in turmoil since March 1, when protests for students’ elections turned violent — after a WBCUPA meeting, state education minister Bratya Basu was allegedly attacked by JU students, and his car also allegedly injured a first-year student.
An order sent by Raj Bhavan to the interim Vice Chancellor stated, “The authorisation given to professor Bhaskar Gupta, as per order no WBG/AB/657 dated April 2024, to exercise the powers and perform the duties of the Vice Chancellor of Jadavpur University is withdrawn ill further orders and shall come into effect immediately.”
Questions have been repeatedly raised about the role of the Vice Chancellor in the safety and security of the University. Bhaskar Gupta took over the post in April 2024. According to official documents, he was scheduled to retire on March 31 this year.
Speaking to The Indian Express, Ghosh said, “I have left the post as directed in the letter. I really do not know why such a decision was taken, nothing has been mentioned in the letter . I love the University and it is not necessary that I have to serve the University as a Vice Chancellor. Only four days remained until my retirement.”
“The incident which happened inside the University earlier this month was very saddening, I have always said that,” he said.
At the time of the incident, students had demanded to speak with Gupta, who claimed that he was unwell, and was admitted to a private health facility on March 5. Later, he was discharged, and took part in a virtual meeting with other University authorities to ascertain steps to be taken to “ensure safety and security” on campus.
Seven FIRs have been registered in connection with the incident. So far, one alumnus of the University has been arrested and is currently out on bail. Several PILs had been filed in the Calcutta High Court over police inaction and over-action.