After Myanmar-Thailand quake, travel industry reassures vacationers
Times of India | 31 March 2025
Kolkata: Travel and tourism fraternity has reassured tourists that Bangkok remains a safe and welcoming destination despite last week's devastating earthquake. At a time when the peak travel season is in full swing — April and May marking some of the busiest months for tourism — industry leaders are actively working to restore confidence among international and domestic travellers.
The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) took swift action to allay fears, issuing a statement on Saturday confirming that the situation in Bangkok returned to normal. "Businesses resumed operations, and tourist attractions, as well as various convention centres, are open as usual. However, periodic assessments will continue to be conducted to ensure maximum safety," TAT said in a statement on social media.
Similarly, the Thailand Convention and Exhibition Bureau (TCEB) released a notification on Saturday, reassuring business travellers and event organisers that all major convention and exhibition centres are fully operational.Travel agents across Kolkata and Bangkok are also playing a crucial role in addressing travellers' concerns.
Agencies have ramped up communication with clients, providing real-time updates on conditions in Bangkok and emphasising the city's readiness to host tourists safely. Many travel agencies have launched special packages and promotions to encourage bookings.
"Hotels, restaurants, and entertainment venues are open as usual, and transport services remain unaffected. There is no reason to put travel plans on hold," said Travel Agents' Federation of India (TAFI) national executive committee member, Anil Punjabi. The officials in Thailand added that Phuket, Pattaya, and several other destinations there were unaffected by the quake.
Get the latest lifestyle updates on Times of India, along with EID Wishes, Messages and quotes !