An order was issued from the West Bengal Raj Bhavan Saturday requesting a refund of the expenses incurred for the 2024 convocation ceremony of Jadavpur University. The letter was sent two days after Bhaskar Gupta was removed from his position as interim vice chancellor.
In the order, Governor C V Ananda Bose wrote that Gupta “deliberately violated mandatory provisions” of the Jadavpur University Act by going ahead with the annual convocation on December 24, 2024, “knowing fully well that such action is highly irregular, illegal, indisciplined and amounts to insubordination”.
The order further stated, “You are aware that issue of degree/ certificates arising out of an illegally convened convocation is ab-initio null and void and will jeopardise the future of the students. Under the circumstances, it is imperative to recover the university fund unauthorisedly expended by you for the conduct of illegal convocation.”
Speaking to The Indian Express, former interim VC Gupta said, “I have nothing to say in this matter. Allegations can be made but I am not giving any importance to such allegations. Budgets are sanctioned then in the university’s interim council everything was passed and everything happened with unanimous resolution, his (Governor) representatives were also present so he knows everything.”
He further said, “I have my own dignity; I cannot stoop down so low to this childish behaviour.”
On Thursday, Gupta was removed four days before his retirement. Since March 1, Jadavpur University has been in turmoil after the West Bengal College and University Professors Association (WBCUPA) meeting where Education Minister Bratya Basu was allegedly attacked by a group of students who demanded a student election. On the other hand, there were allegations that a first-year student had been injured by the minister’s car.
Questions have frequently been raised concerning the vice chancellor’s role in ensuring the safety and security of the university. Gupta became the interim vice chancellor of Jadavpur University in April 2024. According to official documents, he was scheduled to retire on March 31. While the order indicates his immediate removal, no reasons have been provided for this decision.
On March 1, a face-off occurred between Education Minister Bratya Basu and students at Jadavpur University regarding the demand for student elections. The students gathered and allegedly attacked the minister’s vehicle, which ran over some protesting students, leaving many injured. As a result of the incident, seven FIRs were registered, and one alumnus of the university was arrested, though he later received bail. Several public interest litigations have been filed in the Calcutta High Court, addressing issues of police inaction and excessive force.
The situation at the university remained tense as students demanded a meeting with Gupta. He claimed he was unwell and was admitted to a private health facility on March 5, 2025. Later, he was discharged and participated in a virtual meeting with other university authorities to discuss measures for ensuring the safety and security of the campus.