• Bhatpara shooting: Arrest warrant against Arjun
    Times of India | 2 April 2025
  • 123 Kolkata: Former Barrackpore MP and BJP neta Arjun Singh faced mounting legal trouble over last week's shooting near Bhatpara's Meghna Jute Mill as the Barrackpore ACJM court issued an arrest warrant against him on Tuesday.

    On Friday, Calcutta High Court had declined an urgent hearing on Singh's plea alleging police harassment. The ex-MP claimed that miscreants attacked his residence on the night of March 26-27.

    Since Thursday, police summoned Singh five times. Jagaddal police station IC Madhusudan Mandal even visited his residence to interrogate him regarding the shooting that left jute mill worker Mohammad Saddam with serious bullet injuries.

    Saddam's family accused Singh of shooting him following a clash between two groups of mill workers and lodged an FIR against him and his associates at Jagaddal police station. Singh claimed he was out of the state for personal reasons and ignored the summonses.

    "Singh repeatedly skipped police summonses, leading the investigating officer to seek a warrant. The Barrackpore ACJM court then issued an arrest warrant against him," Barrackpore police commissioner Ajay Thakur told TOI.

    According to Barrackpore court sources, ACJM Monika Chattopadhyay issued the arrest warrant based on the investigating officer's plea. Four persons are in police custody.

    Sources indicate Singh left Bhatpara for a "scheduled" appointment in Patna, even as police attempted to serve a fresh summons. Police sources said Singh's phone location did not confirm his presence in Patna.

    TMC's Jagaddal MLA, Somnath Shyam, who also accused Singh of the shooting, labelled his departure a "desperate attempt to escape" arrest. Shyam claimed the former MP had gone to Delhi to seek help from BJP brass.

    Singh, on the other hand, accused Namit Singh, the son of local Trinamool councillor Sunita Singh, of firing shots in the presence of police, prompting retaliation from rival groups. Police have initiated a suo motu case against Namit.

    "In the lower court, police stated that two Trinamool members fired the shots. CCTV footage supports this claim. Yet, how was an arrest warrant issued against me? This is a desperate attempt by police under Trinamool's influence. I approached the HC, but the court strike delayed my case. However, I trust the judiciary," Singh said.

    Trinamool spokesperson Kunal Ghosh said: "This is a matter for the court. The party has nothing to say."
  • Link to this news (Times of India)