Bengal’s Holong bungalow rebuild to prioritise fire safety
Times of India | 22 February 2026
Kolkata: Bengal is set to restore the historic Holong forest bungalow inside Jaldapara National Park that was destroyed in a fire last year. The forest department has planned a structure combining heritage design with modern fire-safety measures at an estimated cost of Rs 8 crore.
The bungalow, established in 1967, was one of Jaldapara's best-known tourist accommodations, with eight wooden rooms and proximity to wildlife. It was gutted on June 18, 2024, triggering concern among tourism stakeholders over visitor interest and bookings.
Forest officials said the new bungalow will use modern technology and fire-resistant materials. While direct concrete construction is restricted in protected forest areas, the department planned a hybrid design blending wood and concrete to retain the traditional wooden character while improving structural safety.
The rebuilt bungalow will have eight rooms, with additional fire precautions incorporated into the design, officials said.
A senior forest department official said preparatory work is nearly complete and the land has been handed over to the contracted company. Construction is expected to begin soon.
Sources said CM Mamata Banerjee may lay the foundation stone before the assembly election model code takes effect, after which full-scale construction will start.