• Fresh crackdown in West Bengal: TMC leader held in Cooch Behar over post-poll assault, violence allegations
    The Statesman | 19 May 2026
  • The West Bengal Police on Monday arrested Trinamool Congress leader Abdul Kader Haque in Cooch Behar over allegations of post-poll violence. The state government has, meanwhile, stepped up action in connection with the 2021 post-poll violence cases.

    According to officials, the latest developments come amid a wider statewide exercise to revisit complaints linked to the violence that erupted after the 2021 Assembly elections. Authorities have begun 458 fresh enquiries, registered 181 new FIRs and reopened 59 cases in which final reports had earlier been filed.

    Police said TMC leader Abdul Kader Haque was arrested following allegations of post-poll assault and violence. Further investigation into the matter is underway.

    The renewed push follows directions issued by West Bengal Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari, who asked police across the state to invoke provisions under the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita and register FIRs in all murder and assault cases linked to the 2021 violence that had not been investigated earlier.

    Adhikari had also appealed to victims and their families to approach the police even if they lacked documentary evidence, assuring them that investigations would be carried out.

    The action comes days after the BJP formed the government in West Bengal following its victory in the 2026 Assembly elections. Since assuming office on May 9, the administration has initiated action against several Trinamool Congress leaders over allegations ranging from violence and extortion to land grabbing.

    Officials said the process of reopening older complaints and examining pending allegations is continuing in multiple districts.

    The developments have once again brought the spotlight back on the political violence that followed the 2021 Assembly election results in the state.

    Meanwhile, Trinamool Congress General Secretary Abhishek Banerjee criticised the Centre over the incidents of post-poll violence and accused authorities of misusing power during the counting process in the recently concluded Assembly elections.

    In a post on X, Banerjee expressed condolences to families affected by the violence and alleged that Central forces remained “mute spectators” during the incidents.

    He also claimed that TMC candidates and counting agents were forcibly removed from counting centres in several constituencies.

    The investigation into the reopened cases is currently underway.
  • Link to this news (The Statesman)