15 hotels sealed in Tarapith fire safety crackdown
Times of India | 19 August 2026
Tarapith: Fifteen hotels in Tarapith were shut down on Tuesday for allegedly failing to meet mandatory safety and statutory requirements, a day after a fire at Hotel Bideshini claimed nine lives.
The establishments, all located in Chandipur, where Monday’s blaze broke out, were served immediate closure notices after officials found deficiencies including the absence of pollution and environmental clearances, fire-safety certificates and electricity-related compliances.
The hotels are Adarsha Hotel, Nakul Chandra Lodge, Sailen Bhaban, Gitashree Guest House, Hare Krishna Bhaban, Giridhari Bhaban, Birbhum Lodge, Bholanath Bhaban, Hotel Dev, Ananda Bhaban, Swastik Nivas, Tapati Lodge, Sandip Lodge, Keshri Lodge and Dutta Bhaban.
The action followed a meeting chaired by Rampurhat sub-divisional officer Rathod Ashwin Babusingh, who said the establishments had previously been served notices several times but failed to comply.
“Since such a big incident happened in Tarapith, today we are sending closure notices to 15 hotels. They will be closed immediately,” the SDO said, adding that the administration would not compromise on safety following directions from the chief minister and district magistrate.
The latest closures come a month after around eight other hotels were shut for similar violations. Officials said the affected establishments would be guided in obtaining the necessary licences and clearances before they could be considered for reopening.
Five joint inspection teams comprising fire personnel, electricity department officials, PWD civil and electrical personnel and police representatives will inspect every hotel in Tarapith over the next 10 days.
“The teams will check fire detection and smoke alarms, fire-fighting equipment and other safety measures. Installation of smoke detection alarms would be treated as an immediate priority, with fire officials indicating that the equipment could be installed within a day or two,” the SDO added.
A large-scale fire safety drill for hotel staff and managers is also being planned before Kaushiki Amavasya, when thousands of pilgrims are expected. With around 400 hotels in the area, 800-1,000 representatives are likely to participate.
Junior fire minister Koushik Chowdhury said all building clearances, including fire-safety approvals, were mandatory. He also noted that some hotels had equipment but lacked trained personnel to operate it.
Papai Mal, manager of one of the hotels shut on Tuesday, said renovation work was underway. “We will try to fulfil all requirements to get the NOC. Until the NOC is issued, we shall not take any new bookings,” he said.