• CJP forced to change meeting venue, pushes for better edu infra in Bengal
    Times of India | 19 August 2026
  • Kolkata: Cockroach Janata Party (CJP) on Tuesday alleged that the BJP govt in Bengal was following the “same playbook” it uses in other states to stop the organisation from holding any meeting after multiple venue managers withdrew their permission for CJP to hold a meeting. It has also given a call to the youth to demand a better academic infrastructure in the state.

    The CJP functionaries, who had met the family of Abdul Hafiz, the CJP member whose father was beaten to death, on Monday, were scheduled to hold a news conference at Calcutta Press Club in the afternoon. They had also planned to organise a meeting with the CJP members and supporters at Bharat Sabha Hall at Bowbazar. Later in the afternoon, the news conference at Press Club was cancelled as CJP members claimed that the permission was withdrawn by Press Club. The meeting at Bharat Sabha was also cancelled after the venue managers “declined to confirm” the booking. CJP leaders later held a press meet outside Press Club premises.

    “It is a clear modus operandi of the BJP. It was the same when we wanted to hold an internal meeting of the volunteers in New Delhi. They try not to engage anyone in the dialogue. If they think that they can intimidate people, they are wrong. This doesn’t continue for long and people will start raising voices,” said Ashutosh Ranka, convener of CJP.

    “The BJP first tries to term people as anti-nationals or urban naxals. Then they take to violence and lies,” Ranka said while addressing reporters outside Press Club. “Each time they try to bring in the theory of conspiracy, whether it is deep state or the US. They should change the playbook before it is too late,” he added.

    A Press Club spokesperson said: “There was a verbal booking of the venue through a person. However, after continuous rain over the past few days, we spotted flashes in the wiring last night. Changing the wiring and repairing the damaged wires became urgent. We informed the person well in advance early in the morning. They did not oppose it then.” Sources said that several other programmes scheduled to be held at Calcutta Press Club were cancelled for Tuesday.

    Bengal BJP spokesperson Debjit Sarkar said: “None of the BJP workers is involved as we don’t support politics of violence. Police has already arrested the accused persons. We believe in a democratic process.” Bankura Police on Tuesday said that eight persons have been arrested so far. Three were named in the initial FIR and five were additional suspects. They are in police custody for eight days. Police are looking for other suspects.

    “Our focus in Bengal is to improve the school infrastructure and we will continue with the ‘School theek karo’ campaign. We will expand the organization through this campaign. Bengal has led the education in the country for long. It is unfortunate that Bengal’s education system had deteriorated significantly over the past few decades. We will make the state govt accountable for development of schools and betterment of the education in the state,” said Ranka.

    Meanwhile, Bankura Police on Tuesday said that eight people have been arrested so far. Three were named in the initial FIR and five were additional suspects. They are into eight days of police custody. Police is looking for other suspects.
  • Link to this news (Times of India)